Lye Calculator & Recipe Formulator
in the News
View or Join the
Group on Facebook
Pearl the Mascot
- Registration Policies, How to Register and Accepted Payment Methods
- Age Policy, No Unattended Minor Children
- Bilingual Policy, Classes are Taught in English
- Cancellation Policies, How to Cancel—No Refunds
- Attendance Policies, What to Bring to Class
- Online Attendance Recommendations, Get the Most Out of an Online Class
- Class Re-Take Policies, Re-Attend a Challenging Class
- Student Discounts on Soapmaking Supplies from Various Vendors
- Facility Policies, About the Facility
- Merchandise Exchange Policy, No Refunds
- Custom Soap Policy, for Orders of Customized Soap
- Class registration is first come, first served.
- Each class' maximum attendance is eight (8), ten (10), or twelve (12) students, in order to provide students more dedicated personal attention.
- If a class has been filled, the registration page will show " Class Full" instead of a payment option.
- Class registration fees must be paid before the start of class.
- Credit card payment through the website is immediate and highly recommended.
- The Soapmaking Studio also accepts paper checks or money orders in the mail and cash payment before the start of class. Do not mail cash.
- Some class fees are taxable most material fees are taxable no online fees are taxable. For a description of applicable sales tax and rates, refer to taxable-classes.pdf.
Registration by Credit Card
- When registering with a credit card through the website, your spot in the class is immediately secured.
- The website securely processes credit cards through PayPal but a PayPal account is not required.
- Our company name appears on credit card statements as " ACUTE SOAP."
Registration by Check or Money Order
- Checks are accepted through the website as eChecks processed by PayPal. A PayPal account is not required. Paper checks are not accepted.
- If paying by paper money order, you must complete a Registration Form.
- Make the money order payable to " Soapmaking Studio."
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you've mailed a money order and for which class, date, and time.
- When your money order is received at the Soapmaking Studio: If the class has not filled and is still open, we will email you to confirm receipt of payment.
If the class has filled and is closed, we will call you immediately and you may decide to either take the class at a later date or have your money order returned to you by mail.
- Mail completed Registration Form and money order to:
7301 Mount Vernon St
Lemon Grove, CA 91945-3122
Registration by Cash
- To pay with cash, email info@SoapmakingStudio.com to let us know which class, date, and time you'd like to attend.
- Complete a Registration Form to bring with you and arrive 15 minutes early before the start of class to register and pay.
- Keep in mind, a verbal statement you intend to attend is not binding. Your spot in the class is not guaranteed until you have paid for the class.
Some classes fill to capacity weeks before the class date.
- All minors, adults, and seniors in attendance must register and pay for classes.
- Children under age 14 may not attend classes.
- Adults age 18 and older may attend classes unaccompanied.
- Minors between ages 14 and 18 may attend classes while accompanied by an adult over age 21, detailed below.
- Minors between ages 14 and under 16 must be accompanied by an adult over age 21 creating a ratio of one adult per each student age 14–16.
- Minors between ages 16 and 18 must be accompanied by an adult over age 21 creating a ratio of one adult per four (4) students ages 16–18.
- The adult accompanying a minor assumes full responsibility for the minor, including the minor's actions, behavior, health, and safety.
- The Soapmaking Studio gladly accommodates senior citizens with special needs.
Although most of the instructors and staff speak Spanish, no classes are taught exclusively in Spanish.
Instructors are frequently able to offer one or two sentences of supplemental instruction in Spanish for clarification
but instructors do not teach whole classes in Spanish. Classes are taught in English.
Printable PDF of English–Spanish soapmaking terms:
English–Spanish Soapmaking Terms
Aunque la mayoría de los instructores y el personal habla español, no las clases se imparten exclusivamente en español.
Los instructores son a menudo capaces de ofrecer una o dos frases de suplemento de instrucción en español para aclaración,
pero los instructores no enseñan clases enteras en español. Las clases se enseñan en inglés.
PDF para imprimir de términos de la fabricación de jabón en español–inglés:
Español–Inglés Términos de la Fabricación de Jabón
- All payments are nonrefundable. No refunds, period.
- Registration fees may not be transfered to another person nor used toward a different class.
- If you have committed to a class and cannot attend (for any reason whatsoever) contact the Soapmaking Studio by emailing info@SoapmakingStudio.com or calling (619) 668-1435 as soon as possible. The sooner you contact us, the better.
Five (5) Days Advance Notice of Cancellation
- If you notify the Soapmaking Studio five (or more) days prior to the class, you may choose to pay a $15 rescheduling fee and attend the same class at a later date. No refunds.
Fewer than Five (5) Days Advance Notice of Cancellation
- If you notify the Soapmaking Studio fewer than five days prior to the class, you may choose to pay a $25 rescheduling fee and attend the same class at a later date. No refunds.
No Notice of Cancellation
- If you do not contact the Soapmaking Studio prior to missing the class for which you've committed, you will be considered in "no call, no show" status and you will not receive any type of refund, rescheduling option, or credit toward a future class.
If you do not notify us of cancellation and are in "no call, no show" status, you may choose to pay the full registration fee to attend the same class at a later date. You do not need to pay the materials fee a second time. No refunds.
- Arrive a few minutes early because the class will start on time.
- If you need to pay cash and submit your completed Registration Form arrive 15 minutes early.
- If you have a specific question about a failed batch of soap, bring the exact recipe and a bar of the failed soap with you to the class.
- The Soapmaking Studio is home to a pet cat, so if you suffer from allergies remember to bring any medication you may need.
- When you arrive, park on our property, off of the street.
- Do not bring guests or people who are not formally registered as paying students.
- Do not bring pets to class.
- If you cannot attend the class, contact the Soapmaking Studio as soon as possible and review the Cancellation Policies (above).
Most (but not all) classes are available online. Online availability is subject to the instructor's discretion. Contact the Soapmaking Studio to verify the availability of an online class.
Online classes include audio and video feeds of the live class via Google+ Hangouts.
The invitation to view the class and workbook online is sent to students through email hyperlinks about 15 minutes before the start of the live class.
All times are listed in PT. Instructors wear a headset and mic to communicate and answer questions from online students.
Online classes (except Soapmaking 101) require an additional online fee to cover the cost of mailing materials and camera operation. If registration is completed six (6) days or more before the class, the online fee is $25. If registration is completed
five (5) days or fewer before the class, the online fee is $38 and includes Priority Mail Express service for mailing the class workbook. For more information about the supplemental online fee and material mailings, review the PDF of Online Policies.
Online attendance for online classes (except Online Soapmaking 101) includes mailing of a hardcopy workbook and/or access to an online workbook during the time of the class via an email hyperlink to
Online Soapmaking 101 does not incur an additional online fee. The registration fee for Online Soapmaking 101 only includes access to the online workbook. A hardcopy of the Soapmaking 101 (Beginning Cold Process Soapmaking) class workbook is available for purchase
from our Amazon Bookstore
or from our Books in stock.
Because the online workbook and video/audio feed are both served via Google products, they work best with the
Google Chrome internet browser.
- It is the objective of the Soapmaking Studio to provide precise, accurate, comprehensive, memorable instruction.
Because students learn at varying rates and because students excel in different fields of study,
all students may choose to re-take most of the classes offered by the Soapmaking Studio for a discounted registration fee.
- Online classes are not eligible for discounted registration.
- Only students in possession of a valid "Soapmaking Studio Class Passport" are eligible to re-attend for the discounted registration fee and the passport must be presented at the time of the class.
- Classes taught by guest instructors may not be eligible for the re-take registration discount.
- The option to offer a discounted price to students who return to re-take a class is at the discretion of the instructor.
- Past students may not register to re-attend a class already filled to capacity.
- If the duration of time between when the student originally attended the class and the date of re-attendance is greater than one year,
then the student is not eligible for the discounted re-take registration fee.
- The discounted re-take registration fee does not include materials.
Past students who re-take a class must either bring materials (such as the class workbook) to the class or re-purchase materials before the class.
- If eligible, the discounted registration fees are:
$15 re-take fee for eligible classes totaling (class fee + materials fee) $49.99 or less.
$25 re-take fee for eligible classes totaling (class fee + materials fee) $50.00 or more.
- Students receive access to a list of student discounts and online discount codes from various soapmaking supply vendors.
- In the email confirming class registration, students receive a PDF file of current discounts offered exclusively to students and graduates of the Soapmaking Studio.
- Past students and graduates may request the PDF file of the available student discounts via email.
- When at the Soapmaking Studio, students may request a printed hardcopy of the student discounts.
- The student discounts are provided by various outside vendors. The Soapmaking Studio is not affiliated with these vendors and is not responsible for unsubstantiated claims by vendors.
The Soapmaking Studio is wheelchair accessible.
- The Soapmaking Studio makes every effort to accommodate physically-challenged students, including students suffering physical injuries.
Students are allowed to sit, stand, or stretch as needed during classes.
- Maximum student occupancy for the classroom is twelve (12) students.
- The Soapmaking Studio is a green facility powered by solar panels. We collect rain water for use in our aromatic plant gardens.
Our facility features natural lighting from SolaTube sky lights in key work areas. We reuse, repurpose, recycle, and compost.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the Soapmaking Studio. Students may smoke on the property outdoors during breaks.
- Classes longer than 2½ hours include a 15-minute break.
- A refrigerator is available for students who bring their lunches to full-day classes.
The Soapmaking Studio cannot be responsible for loss of items from the student refrigerator.
- A restroom facility is available for students.
- We invest in the purest and safest ingredients.
- To protect our high standards of purity and safety, sales of all ingredients are final.
- We do not accept exchanges or returns of ingredients.
- Molds and tools may be exchanged only if they have not been used.
- No cash refunds exchanges only.
- We can make customized soap orders.
- All custom soap orders are subject to the terms in the Custom Soap Agreement.
View soapmaking classes,
or store hours.
Classes are held at a private home occupied by a pet cat.
If you are allergic to cats, please contact email@example.com prior to enrolling in a class.